Selati Line - Newington Station

For news items relating to Heritage Rail in South Africa. Any photos should be posted in the "South Africa - Photo Gallery" Forum below.
NeilWhyte

Selati Line - Newington Station

Post by NeilWhyte »

Hi all,

I am currently working as a guide in the Sabi Sands Game Reserve, and our lodge, Savanna, is located at the old Newington Station. The Station has the number C.C 526 on the side, and we have about 400 m of the old line in place. The owners of the land also have an old dining cart sitting in a shed on the remaining line, which runs past the old station, which they have also refurbished and we use as a dinner venue. I cannot find too much on the old dining cart, except the name Senyati, the number 174 above the door leading into the dining area, and a plaque stating that it was built at Pretoria Works in 1914. We also have some of the last tickets in the cart, mostly dating back to 1969 and the transport of goods and the original menus for dinner and breakfast.

What I would like to find out more of, is the history of the line. I saw some snippets in a discussion from the Skukuza Station from 2009, but was wondering if there may be a little more detail to the history. We have many dinners in the cart with our guests, and I would really like to get some good, accurate information, and hopefully perhaps some interesting stories.

Does anybody know where I can find some of this?

Many thanks,
Neil Whyte
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Selati Line - Newington Station

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks, Neil, and welcome to our forum. You are our 998th member!

I've moved your post to the South Africa - Heritage Railway News and Discussion forum and I hope someone will be able to assist you with your query.
NeilWhyte

Post by NeilWhyte »

Hi John,

Many thanks! I really look forward to see if anyone is able to shed some more light.

Regards,
Neil
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Hi Neil

Please email me photos of the dining car, I may be able to assist you.

dylan@africanrailsys.com

Kind regards

Dylan Knott
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Neil, as well as sending them to Dylan, can you also post one or two on the forum in the South Africa - Coaches, Rolling Stock & Miscellaneous Vehicles photo gallery at http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... .php?f=145, as I'm sure quite a few people would be interested to see this dining car? Thanks!

Return to “South Africa - Heritage Railway News and Discussion”