New Dennis Moore South African steam books

News on new books - local and international. News and reviews on magazines as well!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

New Dennis Moore South African steam books

Post by John Ashworth »

Good Day, Ladies & Gentlemen,
I hope this finds you well. Only two e mails from me last year regarding South African railway books, and this is the first of only two for 2016.
If I may just set the scene as a prelude to the details of my newly released books :

The date : the early 1980s. The requirement : move in excess of six million tons of gold bearing ore every year from the shafts to the processing plants. "O.K. Let's scrap our existing conveyor system, let's upgrade our existing railway to main line standards and extend it with two new lines, more than doubling the length. Let's build a new rail workshop and running shed. Oh, and motive power ... let's not buy diesels like everyone else. We want steam, but not just any steam. We'll buy big Garratts - lots of them - from the dumps around the country where they've been rusting away for years. We'll fully overhaul them. And, while we're at it, let's make them look great."
It all sounds rather apocryphal, but that's exactly what happened. This is the amazing story of the revival of the Randfontein Estates Gold Mine Railway, located to the west of Johannesburg, South Africa. For twelve years the Garratts of Randfontein worked around the clock in what was one of steam's most amazing comebacks in the latter part of the twentieth Century.

RANDFONTEIN ESTATES GOLD MINE : THE GARRATT STORY
194 PAGES [264 photographs] http://www.blurb.com/b/6964709 (Standard Landscape Format 25cm x 20 cm)
This is a comprehensive pictorial study of The Garratts of Randfontein; the book is complete with detailed captions, lively anecdotes, technical data, a comprehensive survey of the mine's fleet of GMA/Ms that will surprise many, and a detailed schematic of the railway system. Special emphasis is placed on the many livery variations carried by the GMA/Ms, particularly the stunning maroon that was only evident for a relatively short period.
(*** Please note the book is also available in very large landscape format 33cm x 28cm , although at an additional 55% cost to the standard landscape version. Available upon e-mail request to me)

THE GARRATTS OF RANDFONTEIN … AND THEIR SISTERS
240 PAGES [358 photographs] http://www.blurb.com/b/6963849 (Very large landscape format 33cm x 28cm)
This sumptuous volume (only available in this very large format) includes the same (slightly expanded) comprehensive pictorial study of The Garratt Story; also with detailed captions, lively anecdotes, technical data, a comprehensive survey of the mine's fleet of GMA/Ms and a detailed schematic of the railway system. However, it is much more than just the Garratts. There is also detailed coverage of the mine’s Class 1 4-8-0, 14R 4-8-2s and 15BR 4-8-2s that continued to work alongside the Garratts in the 1980s. (Indeed, one 15BR lasted until the very end of steam here.)
Black, blue and stunning maroon liveries abound in this very special volume.

A note on formats : The standard landscape format book should satisfy most readers, the huge very large landscape format version is to cater for some of the Author’s regular customers who demand this format, but it is unavoidably rather expensive …. But, then again, it’s an awful lot of book! (Several people have commented that the very large landscape format books are just ‘really special’ : the choice is yours) At the risk of stating the obvious please note that the content of “RANDFONTEIN ESTATES GOLD MINE : THE GARRATT STORY” is fully distilled from “THE GARRATTS OF RANDFONTEIN … AND THEIR SISTERS”.

This e-mail is not only intended for potential buyers of one of these books, although that is obviously one aim as your support is really appreciated and enables the production of this ambitious series of books to continue. For those who just wish to browse, you are most welcome . As always, full and free previews of (every page of) every title are available from these links. Just follow the <preview> function. Don’t forget to enlarge to <<full screen>>.
Please also do visit http://www.blurb.com/user/store/red3450 for all of the Author’s thirty-eight titles, covering many other countries besides South Africa, although that country will always be the prime focus of this series.

*** COMING LATER THIS YEAR***

(N.B. titles may change)

1. SOUTH AFRICA – GARRATT COUNTRY

2. SOUTH AFRICA – GARRATTS : the final years

3. SOUTH AFRICA – GARRATTS GALORE

Three lavish books providing the ultimate pictorial tribute (but still with the comprehensive ‘extras’ that the Author’s books are known for) to these magnificent articulated locomotives that really made South Africa a special place to visit (or live!).

FOOTNOTES / GENERAL INFORMATION ( Please read these if you are not familiar with them, as it will answer many of the questions that people have. If it doesn't, please ask me ! )
(A) DISCOUNTS
First and foremost, may I please draw your attention to pricing. As many of you may be aware, print on demand books are unavoidably a little on the expensive side, but one does not have to pay the catalogue price. If you are buying a book / books, please go to http://www.goodsearch.com/blurb/coupons , or simply google Blurb Coupon Code , and you will find many sources of discounts available, which code you simply enter towards the end of the checkout process. These coupon codes are common practice in internet mail order and can be a little tricky and irritating, but it is worth persevering. Discounts of up to 25% and even 35% are often available, especially (but not solely) for first time buyers.
(B) DELIVERY COSTS
Delivery costs are inevitably relatively expensive for single copy orders, so prospective customers are urged to please consider buying all titles you may be interested in (from the catalogue of 38 books) in "one go". Or, get together with like minded friends to combine an order. ……………The delivery cost per book then comes down dramatically.
(C) IRRITATING?
As always, it is not my intention to annoy anyone. If you no longer wish to receive these very occasional e mails, please e mail me with the word , and it shall be done.
FREE BOOK! And finally, for a South African resident only, please be advised that just one [brand new] copy of the original edition of “A Zimbabwe Journey” is available. In very large landscape format, it has the original colour cover and has been produced using ProLine Pearl Photo Paper, which weighs 190 gr./ sq. m, as opposed to 118 gr for standard paper. The best part is that this is available for FREE, yes free (honestly), if collected from me (West Rand) or if you want it sent by courier to a S.A. address, Rand 150 to cover the courier costs. First come, first served. Just e mail or phone me.
With best wishes and I hope you find something of interest here. Please e mail me if you have any queries, or phone me. PLEASE forward this e mail to anyone you think may be interested, and if they wish to be placed on my mailing list, they only have to let me know.
REGARDS
Dennis

Dennis Moore, PO Box 2268, Wilro Park, South Africa

Telephone +27 44 11 764 5425 ( Within South Africa 011 764 5425 )
Moore Family <moore3450@mweb.co.za>
http://www.blurb.com/user/store/red3450
Attachments
38  The Garratts Of Randfontein ... And Their Sisters - VERY LARGE LANDSCAPE SIZE 33cm x 28cm.jpg
38 The Garratts Of Randfontein ... And Their Sisters - VERY LARGE LANDSCAPE SIZE 33cm x 28cm.jpg (37.18 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
37  Randfontein Estates Gold Mine - The Garratt Story STANDARD LANDSCAPE 25cm x 20 cm size.jpg
37 Randfontein Estates Gold Mine - The Garratt Story STANDARD LANDSCAPE 25cm x 20 cm size.jpg (59.61 KiB) Viewed 1684 times

Return to “Book/Magazine News”