Gauge

Ask a real train driver or fireman questions about how engines work, railways operate or anything else. If we do not know the answer, we will find out!
Jonathon SchÃœltzer

Gauge

Post by Jonathon SchÃœltzer »

What is the track gauge of South Africa? I believed it was to be 3 foot, but Was not sure.
Many Thanks-
Jonathon
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Gauge

Post by John Ashworth »

Most of the South African network is 3 foot 6 inch, often known as Cape Gauge. There's a bit of 2 foot gauge too.

Experts who know more than me can tell you of any other minority gauges, including extinct ones - I believe there was even some 4 foot 8 1/2 inch gauge (Stephenson Gauge) for a short while in the 19th century.

There's a fascinating and pretty comprehensive website about gauges here.
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Indeed, as John says, the SA standard gauge is 1065mm. Despite the narrower track, the SA loading gauge (external clearances) is slightly larger than that permitted in the UK, although not as large as the European UIC dimensions. This leads to relatively spacious interior dimensions in SA coaching stock. John is also right, the two first railways built in the Cape and in Durban were 1435mm, but were converted to 1065mm when the reality of the cost and difficulties in building standard gauge railways inland through the rugged terrain hit home. A big gauge debate ensued at the time, with 1065mm winning over as the best compromise.
However, the new Gautrain between Johannesburg and Pretoria with a branch to O R Tambo International airport (JNB, previously Johannesburg International) is being built to the wider European 1435mm gauge. Test trains, imported from the UK, are already running over a 4km section near their depot.
There is a dwindling amount of 610mm, originally built to service the ultra-low traffic, seasonal agricultural areas. Sandstone Estates has built a 610mm railway on its farm which is used to run restored and preserved stock gleaned from those lines and several other places around Africa. The East African lines were built to 1000mm gauge which prevents any through running beyond the end of the 1065mm Tazara railway at Dar es Salaam. Thus goods into the rest of Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda have to be trans-shipped. Interestingly, as John mentions elsewhere in the Forum, Sudan built lines to 1065mm probably anticipating a never-to-be-completed Cape to Cairo railway but failing to anticipate the lunacy of the narrower gauge employed as a silly cost-saving measure in East Africa (they reused existing metre gauge track available from India, I believe).
I do know that there are a few other gauges used in SA, principally as isolated underground and surface mine tramways, although I don't know the specific gauges.
Last edited by Steve Appleton on 16 Feb 2009, 18:54, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added historical 1435mm
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks, Steve. I completely forgot about Gautrain!
Jonathon SchÃœltzer

Post by Jonathon SchÃœltzer »

many thanks to the both of you.

Return to “Railway Operations - ask a question about how railways work..”