Finnish Railways TR1 class, No 1060 at Ongar, England

Photos of motive and rolling stock, stations, signals and anything else train related in the rest of Europe! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Photos may be pruned to conserve space.

Moderator: John Ashworth

Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Finnish Railways TR1 class, No 1060 at Ongar, England

Post by Steve Appleton »

Dear All,

Finnish Railways Tr1 Class 2-8-2 No. 1060 is surplus to requirements at the Epping – Ongar Railway and is currently for sale. Being of 5 ft gauge it cannot run on the line and its present location is blocking planned improvements to Ongar Station. The Railway have recently announced that the loco will be scrapped if it cannot be moved in the next few weeks.

67 locomotives of this type were built for Finnish Railways between 1940 and 1957 for heavy freight duties. They were taken out of service in the 1970’s and No. 1060 was imported to the UK in 1990.

Whilst this impressive loco is obviously outside our NBL remit, some of our Members are very interested in it and are urgently trying to raise £30,000 to purchase it and move it to the Mizens Railway near Woking for restoration and display. I would stress that this is an entirely new fund and will not impact money raised for our existing projects.

On a personal front, I am keen to help as No. 1060 was one of the engines worked on by the late engineer Kim Malyon when they were imported to the UK in the early 1990's. Kim and I later became good friends and I'm sure he would not want to see it scrapped.

As you will see from the attached photo, No. 1060 is in good external condition and, having survived into the 21st Century, is fully deserving of preservation. If you are able to make a donation, would like buy Shares, become a part-owner or can help us in any way, please complete the form below or contact me by email or by phone on 01189 864 706 :

How You Can Help:

Please help us to acquire and display No. 1060 by joining NBLPG an Associate Member for a one off joining fee of £10 or by making a donation using the form below. Members receive a regular Newsletter and the opportunity to participate in our locomotive preservation projects. (please note that Postal Membership is £10 per annum)

Name : ____________________________________________________

Address :___________________________________________________

Email :_____________________________________________________

Joining Fee (Optional) :____________________________________

Donation Enclosed :_______________________________________

Shares @ £25 each :_______________________________________

Please forward completed form and donations to : NBL Preservation Group, 4 Porchfield Close, Earley, Reading, Berks, RG6 5YZ. Please make Cheques or Orders payable to ‘NBL Preservation Group’.

Thank you for your interest & support.

Ken Livermore

Honorary Secretary

NBL Preservation Group

http://www.nbloco.net
World Finland 1060 (Ian Cook).jpg
World Finland 1060 (Ian Cook).jpg (180.22 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
"To train or not to train, that is the question"

Return to “Rest of Europe - Photo Gallery”