6E1 in Roodepoort

Photos of Southern African Electric Motive Power! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

6E1 in Roodepoort

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Taken last weekend.............
Attachments
Pic2A.JPG
Pic2A.JPG (132.04 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: 6E1 in Roodepoort

Post by John Ashworth »

Kevin, the attachment hasn't come through
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Has now - I uploaded the wrong file!

You were fast - caught me while was loading the new one!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

I had just finished uploading some pictures myself, so I had my finger on the button! Great picture - black and white is very evocative.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Actually it occurred to me that a few words on this class would not go amiss, as this is a Series 4 loco - this series was pretty interesting.

Read on.....

Many of these locos remain currently in service, and the Class 6E1, Series 4 3 kV DC electric locomotive was designed and built in South Africa between 1973 and 1974.

They had sophisticated traction links between the bogies and the frames and were equipped even then (40 years ago) with electronic wheel slip detection. The complicated boogies that resulted (with various linkages etc) can clearly be seen in the photo.

A Series 4 was modified for higher speeds and given a streamlined nose cone. This loco then managed a speed of 245 kilometres per hour (152 miles per hour) on 31 October 1978 to set a world record on 3 feet 6 inches gauge track - this record on this gauge track remains unbeaten today.

European pantographs were being developed for high speed trains at this time - and a number were also sent to South Africa and tested on these units as they could achieve the high speeds required.

The ability to achieve high speeds then led of course to the Witblitz!

The 6E Series in total ran to 900+ units produced over 16 years - the largest single locomotive class in South Africa.
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

Nice photo Kev. Black and White photography is so emotive.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Thanks Nathan.

I am on a B and W kick just now.......... !
Andreas Umnus

Post by Andreas Umnus »

Kevin Wilson-Smith wrote:Actually it occurred to me that a few words on this class would not go amiss, as this is a Series 4 loco - this series was pretty interesting.

Read on.....

Many of these locos remain currently in service, and the Class 6E1, Series 4 3 kV DC electric locomotive was designed and built in South Africa between 1973 and 1974.

They had sophisticated traction links between the bogies and the frames and were equipped even then (40 years ago) with electronic wheel slip detection. The complicated boogies that resulted (with various linkages etc) can clearly be seen in the photo.

A Series 4 was modified for higher speeds and given a streamlined nose cone. This loco then managed a speed of 245 kilometres per hour (152 miles per hour) on 31 October 1978 to set a world record on 3 feet 6 inches gauge track - this record on this gauge track remains unbeaten today.

European pantographs were being developed for high speed trains at this time - and a number were also sent to South Africa and tested on these units as they could achieve the high speeds required.

The ability to achieve high speeds then led of course to the Witblitz!

The 6E Series in total ran to 900+ units produced over 16 years - the largest single locomotive class in South Africa.

Nice Picture and very interesting information Kevin.
It's almost incredible that that loco drove that speed. Do you know where they made the speed test?
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

I remember that loco coming through Mayfair Station once, although it wasnt doing its top speed, not a nice looker with that nose cone, one of the books I have may have a picture of it. Assuming I can find it.
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Have a look Derek - I have never seen a photo of it and it would be interesting.

Return to “South Africa - Electric Motive Power”