The Fellsman by Dave Rodgers

Photos of motive and rolling stock, stations, signals and anything else train related in U.K. & Ireland! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.

Moderator: John Ashworth

John Ashworth
Site Admin

The Fellsman by Dave Rodgers

Post by John Ashworth »

Photos by Dave Rodgers, June 2013
Dave wrote:I had resolved not to bother going to see the second of the season's weekly Wednesday Fellsman trains partly as it was to be hauled by 3-cylinder Class K4 No. 61994 The Great Marquess - used on several trips of the same train last year.

However, with both plumber and electricians causing chaos in the house installing a new bathroom, resulting in no electricity and very restricted access to toilet facilities (!) I decided upon a last minute decision to get a couple of photos of the southbound return working from Carlisle. I drove to Hellifield and then caught the 15.37 train to Kirkby Stephen arriving some 20 minutes before the Fellsman was due. The lack of time meant that I was very limited as to choice of locations but was more than happy with the station footbridge at the well maintained Midland Railway station. I can't help but feel that this rather modestly sized 2-6-0 is rather overloaded on the 12-coach (440 ton) Fellsman particularly on the 1 in 82 grade of Wilpshire bank on the Hellifield - Blackburn line.

I returned south from Kirkby Stephen on the Carlisle - Leeds train running some 10 minutes behind the steam and it was not surprising that we were checked by signals at Mallerstang and Ais Gill. We departed Garsdale and then were held at the starting signal for over 20 minutes. It transpired that the K4 had some steaming difficulties and had stopped in section (Garsdale - Blea Moor) for the blocked spark arrestor to be cleared. We finally arrived in Hellifield some 49 minutes late with the Fellsman still taking water in the adjacent loop.

Shortly after the Leeds train departed I managed to get a departure shot of the Fellsman (by now 45 minutes late) passing Hellifield South Jct signal box and then rejoined my car for the journey home.....detouring via Whalley in case the steam train hadn't gone. Unfortunately (for the passengers) the steam was further delayed as it was held at Horrocksford Jct to avoid delaying the 19.40 Clitheroe - Blackburn dmu and so, now running some 80 minutes late at 20.05, I had awaited alone at the end of a row of traditional terrace cottages for some 30 minutes for the train to storm across Whalley viaduct and attack the 1 in 82 grade to Wilpshire.
Attachments
IMG_4314em.jpg
IMG_4314em.jpg (297.13 KiB) Viewed 909 times
IMG_4318em.jpg
IMG_4318em.jpg (314 KiB) Viewed 909 times
IMG_4324em.jpg
IMG_4324em.jpg (303.29 KiB) Viewed 909 times

Return to “U.K. & Ireland - Photo Gallery”