Information required on 14CRB no 2010

For any research questions you may have about railway equipment, railway people, railway history etc
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Information required on 14CRB no 2010

Post by John Ashworth »

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.friendsoftherail.com from: Ken Tarr <kent@cmh.co.za>

Am looking for information on 2010 (14CRB. Situated at Ashton, Western CaPE
Dylan Knott

Re: Information required on 14CRB no 2010

Post by Dylan Knott »

Withdrawn from service 1983 and plinthed in Ashton's main road. Moved to new position around 2000. Formerly used on the Worcester - Riversdale line in 1970's. Rumoured to have a damaged frame but as it steamed to Ashton prior to plinthing this is untrue. As to her future...
Ken Tarr

Post by Ken Tarr »

Thanks Dylan,
What about 2 more for your knowledgeable "rail" brain ?
1) Transnet oval on sides with 3450 and 26 below it
2) BERGRIVER ?
Ken Tarr

Post by Ken Tarr »

Correct word is BERGRIVIER
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Class 26 #3450 stored at Monument Station, Cape Town.

Class 25NC 3422 "Bergrivier" oil fired. Stored at Monument Station, Cape Town.

Both formerly based at Dal Josafat shed for use on Union Ltd, steam safaris and day trips. Shed closed 2005 and they were sent to CT for storage.
Ken Tarr

Post by Ken Tarr »

Thanks Dylan,
Was in Franschoek for the weekend and saw a black and white pic of a " 58 " ???
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

NGG13 perhaps.
Ken Tarr

Post by Ken Tarr »

Thanks Dylan,
Where could I get more information etc on NGG1C ? Would actually be nice to know what it actually pulled and where ?
Adelbert Stigling

Post by Adelbert Stigling »

During my stay at Bityi in the Transkei from 1971 to 1974 CRB 14 No 2010 Opperated from Umtata to Butterworth with regular Driver Jan Bosch on the daily Passenger train to Amabele, his brother Nick Bosch was his guard and they returned with a goods load during the afternoon. Jan always cept 2010 immaculatly clean and shining. I do have photos of 2010 at that time but need some help to post them as I have not done it before.
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Photos would be great! I am sure Kevin or John could assist you here.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Adelbert, you could try posting them yourself as it´s fairly easy, or e-mail them to me or Kevin. I´m travelling until the end of the month and won´t be able to access internet regularly until then.
Adelbert Stigling

Post by Adelbert Stigling »

It seems that the file of the photos is to big, to attach
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Here are Adelbert's photos - and very nice too!

Adelbert says of these......

The first photo below:
The photo I sent you is of 2010 on her return trip to Umtata from Butterworth at Bashee River crossing point between Munyu and Bityi Stations. My late father accompanied them on that trip from Bashee to Bityi and it took two hundred shovels of coal from Bashee to get out of the Mtentu Cuttings before the fireman could sit down for the first time, it is about 16 km climb from Bashee out before the line levels out again.

The other photos were taken the morning on the trip to Butterworth with the passenger train at Bityi while the Loco was taking on water and having the coal on the tender trimmed down.
Attachments
Photo - Adelbert Stigling  Photo 011 that I sent you is of 2010 on her return trip to Umtata from Butterworth at Bashee River crossing point between Munyu and Bityi Stations. My late father accompanied them on that trip from Bashee to Bityi and it took two hundred shovels of coal from Bashee to get out of the Mtentu Cuttings before the fireman could sit down for the first time, it is about 16 km climb from Bashee out before the line levels out again.
Photo - Adelbert Stigling Photo 011 that I sent you is of 2010 on her return trip to Umtata from Butterworth at Bashee River crossing point between Munyu and Bityi Stations. My late father accompanied them on that trip from Bashee to Bityi and it took two hundred shovels of coal from Bashee to get out of the Mtentu Cuttings before the fireman could sit down for the first time, it is about 16 km climb from Bashee out before the line levels out again.
Photo - Adelbert Stigling - Bityi
AANEWBITYITRNS 014.jpg (132.49 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

Really nice pics these, and not much really ever shown on that route. See the pride in being a railwayman. Clean loco, crew dressed in bib and brace overalls and with white shirts , never mind!! Well done.
A railway lecturer at Koedoespoort and friend of FOTR, Cliff Avis, was a fireman at East London and fired the Kei pass. Cliff Petzer, one of the steam drivers here, also was from East London.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

I too love these pictures. They have character and they provide a historical record way beyond the normal "front 3/4 view of loco with all shrubbery removed and not a blade of grass out of place" photographs which we see so often. Thanks, Adelbert.

Return to “Railway Research”