Arriving in Pretoria 1995

Photos of Southern African Metro Rail Systems! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest may be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
Andreas Umnus

Arriving in Pretoria 1995

Post by Andreas Umnus »

When I was in holiday in South Africa that year, I intended also to visit Pretoria by train. I heard all over that it is save to take the Metro if I take a ticket for the first class. So, the 05.02.1995 was the great day when I went by Metro to Pretoria. There was an exciting moment when three black men stood nearby the door in the train and the on of them the T-shirt slid up and I saw the gun he had.

Here is now the only picture I took from the journey:
Attachments
Metro train arrives at Pretoria, 05.09.1995
Metro train arrives at Pretoria, 05.09.1995
Nathan Berelowitz

Re: Arriving in Pretoria 1995

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

So, this photo is all you had left after the three guys showed the gun at you! The yard area has changed rapidly now with the Gautrain construction. The yard and lines to the right have been lifted and remodelled. That area on the right was 3 yard shunt and had a massive shed dating from very early NZASM days. Rovos Rail used this area in the early days as his headquaters and depot.
The litter on the tracks is still there!
Andreas Umnus

Re: Arriving in Pretoria 1995

Post by Andreas Umnus »

No, I was only spared with taking photos. :-(
Thank you for explaining what there was that time and how it looks like now. It's a shame that the litter is still there.
Andreas

Return to “Metro Rail Systems”