We do not disclose any of the information you provide to any third party for any purpose whatsoever, except as we may be compelled to do so by a competant legal authority in compliance with the laws of the Republic of South Africa.
We agree to the following. We will:
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, you can:
Last Edited on 2015-01-09
All of us at Friends of the Rail would like to sincerely thank you for making a donation to our "Hermanstad Depot" appeal. Your donation will halp us to complete our relocation from Capiatl Park to this great site, a process which was started a few years back and to build the facilities there that we so desperately need.
Furthermore, it will help us provide a safe and secure home for our precious heritage assets including irreplaceable steam locomotives and vintage rolling stock. It will help us enhance our ability to provide a living heritage railway museum environment, including a base and passenger station for our well-known steam train excursons to Cullinan and around the Tshwane- Pretoria area.
Once again, we thank you!
Friends of the Rail: Manual: Access to Information.
Published in terms of section 51 of the Promotion of Access to Information Act (Act 2 of 2000).
In terms of this Act, individuals and legal bodies may request access to certain records kept by FOTR. This manual defines what records are available on request and the procedures necessary to request access to them.
Friends of the Rail appeals for funds to complete its move to the new Hermanstad Station and Depot.
SOUTH AFRICA’S LOCOMOTIVES ARE FLATLINING!
Friends of the Rail must build a new steam shed, inspection pit and coal bunker for our steam locomotives and coaching stock. We desperately need a properly equipped depot where we can service, maintain and restore these magnificent beasts that date back to the mid-nineteen hundreds.
These locos are our history: they tell stories of our ancestors and of our beautiful country in a time gone by. They have earned their place with us today. Our children and our children’s children deserve to share in the joy of their journey. However, we must complete our new depot at Hermanstad and move out of Capital Park. Sadly, without a new shed, pit and coal bunker, we will not be able to keep our locos steaming through the country for very much longer.
One of our three current restoration projects is an 8th class # 1223 built in 1903 by Neilson Reid. We’re also working on a North British class 15CA # 2850 built in 1930. This is the seventh last locomotive of its type ever to be built. We are also still repairing our class 15F # 3117 built in 1948 and which was damaged in an unfortunate derailment near Cullinan several years ago. Our current rolling stock restoration project is a type VLJ6 Guards Van.
Our new site is the original goods yard at Hermanstad (part of the Hercules yards) in Pretoria, and it is here that we propose to build the new shed. We need to raise R1.2 million to save this great inheritance, and the only way we can achieve this goal is to enlist your help in the fund raising part of this preservation project.
You can make a contribution via our PayPal "appeal" account (click the DONATE button below) or alternatively by directly transferring your donation to our local bank account. Please mark your contributions "Hermanstad appeal". Whilst you may remain anonymous if you so wish, we would prefer that you provide your name and email address so that we can personally thank you and keep you informed of developments.
OR: You may alternatively make direct EFT or Swift deposits direct to the FOTR bank account:
Account Name: Friends of the Rail NPC
Bank: Standard Bank
Branch Code: 051001
Current account number: 410773786
Swift code (international transactions): SBZAZAJJ
Please endorse your contribution as "Hermanstad Appeal" and supply your Name.
Note: Friends of the Rail is a non-profit, open membership, recreational club whose objective is the restoration, running and display of South Africa's railway heritage for the benefit of the nation's peoples in a "living museum". You can also join our club and make a contribution of a different sort! We need people of all ages and all skills (not necessarily with railway skills) to help make our club work and our heritage steam trains run. We will train you as necessary. You can also then see and have a say in just how your doantion is being put to work.
Friends of the Rail NPC was founded by enthusiasts in 1986 and subsequntly incorporated in September 1995 as a CIPRO-registered non-profit company with registration number 1995/009790/08.
Friends of the Rail Association, NPC,
Terms and conditions – the small print:
- In making any donation to FOTR you agree that you have read all these terms and conditions and have understood and consented to them.
- Friends of the Rail NPC (herein FOTR) is a CIPC-registered non-profit company whose registration number is 1995/009790/08. It is constituted as an open-membership recreational club and its aims include the restoration, maintenance and running of South African heritage railway equipment as a “living museum”.
- In accordance with its non-profit status, all funds earned or received are allocated the club’s objectives.
- At the donor’s choice, any donations made may be restricted to specific projects within the association. Identifiable donations made under this appeal will be allocated and restricted to the development of the FOTR Hermanstad site and will not be allocated to any other project or purpose without approval from the donor (if reasonably contactable at the address given).
- Statements of donations received (excluding any donor’s details) and statements of payments made will be made available to donors from time to time or on request.
- FOTR is not at present registered with SARS as a Public Benefit Organization and it is therefore probable that local ‘section 18’ donations tax incentives may not be claimed by donors.
- Donations made by you, the donor, and duly received by FOTR will be non-refundable. All such donations will be regarded as having been made voluntarily, freely and as good will by you. Donations made via PayPal, any other financial mechanism (such as EFT or Swift) or physically delivered will not be refunded returned if you, the donor, change your mind about the donation after it has been processed into either our PayPal account, into our bank account or delivered to our premises or sent into our postal facility. Refunds in respect of donations will only be made where permitted or required by law and at the absolute discretion of FOTR. Where a refund of a donation is to be made, FOTR will directly inform you that the refund will be made and will refund the donation to the original donor’s account only.
- The donor shall be responsible for and bear the costs of all banking charges or interest levied upon him or her in respect of banking, credit card, EFT and Swift transactions. Unless specifically agreed in writing by FOTR, the donor shall bear the costs of all physical delivery and, where relevant, postal and courier charges.
- Where a donor consents to make periodic donations (such as monthly or annually), such an arrangement may be cancelled by the donor at any time without notice and without penalty. All donations received up to that event will remain non-refundable.
- Unless specifically and separately agreed in writing by FOTR, FOTR does not offer any branding or co-ownership in return for donations. All donations whether in cash, in kind, in material or in property become the sole and total property and assets of FOTR and/or to the extent contained in its lease agreement, its lessors.
- FOTR cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure or any other problem outside of its control which may result in any donation being lost or not being properly received.
- All Donations made direct to FOTR or through the online donation portal (PayPal) are considered private and the information of the donor will be held in the strictest of confidence at all times. Except if required to do so by law, by a duly authorized legal authority or by a court order, none of the donors’ information will be shared by FOTR to those outside of the organization (including PayPal – to the extent of PayPal’s security policies) that is responsible for handling online donations. Except as may be required by local privacy, financial and foreign exchange laws, none of the information will be made available to marketers (including our own), private and or public companies, banks (except FOTR’s own bankers), creditors, FOTR’s partners, volunteers, staff (except FOTR’s treasurer and executive) and or government. Please note that it is our utmost duty to ensure that all our donors’ information is protected as required by the law.